Sunday, May 1, 2011

Books

In high school, I was required to read a handful of books. And one that stood out to to me the most was the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I found this novel very moving, because the story to me is the epitome of the "American dream" along with the corruption caused by money and social value. The character Jay Gatsby, a wealthy man through illegal businesses shows the things people would do just to become extremely wealthy--wealth which leads to negative changes in their lives.The reason why I chose this book is because how it closely related to us as people present, even though the story took place around the 1920s.
Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling would be number two on my list. I first read this book when I was in middle school because it was recommended by a classmate. The reason why I chose this book is because as a young reader, each page I read expanded my imagination and pretty much took me to a whole another world one page at a time. The funny this was, at the time I thought idea of a story about wizards was a bit tacky, but I gave it a chance and ended becoming hooked onto the book which lead to me buying the second book, The Chamber of Secrets.
The very last book it would like to introduce is, A Series of Unfortunate Events: THE BAD BEGINNING, by Lemony Snicket. I found this book very amusing, mainly because how applied the story plot goes extremely well with the title given. This story is literally about three children going through countless series of unfortunate events, which many are told in a humorous/ironic way. As the story goes, to me I find the creativity of this book sky high.



1 comment: